- A birth certificate may be a source for a child's full legal name at birth, date of birth, place of birth, names of parents, and other information.
- The Social Security Death Index may be a source for the dates of birth and death for an individual.
- A family bible may be a source for the dates and places of births, marriages, and deaths and the names that the participants used at the time of those events.
- A family member or friend may be a source for information about the members of a family, including dates of birth, marriage, death.
- A photograph of a cemetery monument may be a source for birth and death information.