- An official death certificate generated at or near the time of death may be an original source.
- A family bible may be an original source, if the information recorded therein is not obtained from another authority.
- A family member or friend may be an original source for information, assuming that the person supplying the information has first-hand knowledge of the information.
- A cemetery monument may be an original source for the monument's design, location, and inscription.
- A last will and testament may be an original source for the wishes of the individual who wrote the will.